Tuesday, May 02, 2006

Deal or No Deal?

Quote of the blog update: “He can compress the most words into the smallest ideas of any man I ever met.” Abraham Lincoln

Song of the blog update: "Crazy" by Gnarles Barkley

I went to have my car inspected this morning (I should have done it last month while the inspection sticker was valid, but WTF). I hit the ATM machine for cash (it costs $18 for an inspection sticker here) and headed off to my favorite state inspection location (yes, I have a favorite). I hand over the required ID, registration and proof of insurance and the attendant hands it back and says the registration is expired. I shuffle through my glovebox and find the up-to-date registration and hand it over (I don't know why I keep expired documentation and I don't know why you do it either). So I'm ready now. Nope, I have my wife's proof of insurance and she has mine. I put the new cards into the cars last month, but didn't pay attention to what car was getting which card. I had like 5 expired proof of insurance cards for my car, but that swayed nobody. I'll try again tomorrow.

So I made a detour on the way back to the office... to Best Buy. NYPinTA, compulsive blog updater and Tool fanatic, was hyping the new Tool album, "10,000 Days," in her last post. She seems to like the Tool... in fact she told me, in confidence, that her personalized NY license plate says "T00LLVR" and her AOL login is ToolLover69. OK... maybe I imagined that last part, but she's a legitimate Tool fan.

So I bought "10,000 Days," which incidentaly comes with a pair of reading glasses built into the case. I'm listening now. I've been listening for 20 minutes and I'm only on track 3 (and I'm not kidding)... the album is 1 hour, 15 minutes, 50 seconds long.

I also bought "Aenima" and "Lateralus" - both by Tool. I bought "Pablo Honey" - Radiohead and I bought "Exit Music" - a Radiohead tribute album by various artists. Five albums for $49.01, including tax; not bad.

OK, here's my moral dilema of the day. After I got in my car, I popped in the tribute album... not bad, I need more listens to make a final judgement. But, that's beside the point... I checked the Best Buy receipt and the checkout drone at Best Buy didn't scan "Pablo Honey". So I basically stole it. Now I am a huge Radiohead fan. My first ever blog update was dedicated to a thesis on Radiohead and black sitcoms. As much of a Tool I imagine NYPinTa is, that's how much of a Radiohead I am. "Pablo Honey" is the only album I hadn't yet purchased. It was their first major release and I didn't catch on until "The Bends" in 1995. I have "The Bends," "OK Computer," "Kid A," "Amnesiac," and "Hail To The Thief" - and their in the studio now, I'll buy that too. So maybe the freebee was a reward from God for being so loyal. That's how I'm leaning at the moment.

I'd like to know your opinion on the matter. Pretend you're Heathcliff Huxtable and I'm Theo. And I just walked out of Best Buy with a, technically stolen, cd, but am regarding it as a reward from God for band loyalty. What are your thoughts, Dr. Huxtable... I mean Dad?

Hottie of the blog update: Heather Westbrook


 photo IMG_1264.jpg

11 Comments:

Blogger fakies said...

Glad to see you obeyed me. I was tired of that image of Joy Behar.

I think you should go back and tell them that you stole. Then you should offer to spend the night in jail to demonstrate your remorse.

We don't have to have vehicle inspections in NE. We just drive around in a Ford POS with a busted windshield and duct tape holding the door shut.

11:33 AM  
Blogger Stellar said...

I'll never go back to jail.

Burned too many bridges.

11:41 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Well son, today I went and got chinese for lunch. My order came to 4.85. I handed over a five and the girl behind the counter gave me back 1.15. I then spent a few minuts trying to explain that she gave me too much money... and by that time, I kind of earned that damn dollar, but gave it back anyhow. However I'm not that loyal to that take out place either.
Now, you could either take that little story to mean I am saying take it back, or that because I noticed it right away I had the opportunity to give the dollar back without wasting too much of my time...
I'm not helping, am I?

1:19 PM  
Blogger Stellar said...

I re-read your comment imagining Bill Cosby saying it.

I think I'll just let sleeping dogs lie. I'll take the $15 I saved on the cd and buy some pudding.

Have you enjoyed your new Tool yet? I finally read that those glasses are 3-D glasses for the album artwork. Pretty cool.

1:52 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

There's always from for pudding.

So far, I am up to track 6. The songs are long, but also when I first buy an album I listen to songs over and over.
I am really loving The Pot. Especially with the song starting out with just his voice! He can make a line you would hear on Jerry Springer sound like poetry with that voice!! Awesome.
The musich sounds a lot like what is on Lateralus, but a tad more... sophisticated IMO.

11:37 AM  
Blogger Stellar said...

There's always from for pudding.

Have I told you how cool Blogger is for not allowing guests to edit their comments?

I think about that from from-to-from.

"The Pot" is pretty bad ass. "Jambi" pulls no punches either.

12:07 PM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Guess maybe there isn't room for pudding!?

Stupid blogger.

7:22 AM  
Blogger NYPinTA said...

Also, I was drunk.

7:26 AM  
Blogger John said...

"We just drive around in a Ford POS with a busted windshield and duct tape holding the door shut."

You just described Michele's old car, right down to the duct tape holding the door on. I guess the key word was "Ford."

11:38 AM  
Blogger Kathleen said...

If you had said you bought it from some nice little independent store I'd say take it back, but since it's Best Buy and they sell their CDs for less than they pay and therefore undercut the little guy who can't do such a thing and stay in business, I say keep it and I can hope that one day they'll go out of business because they hire the braindead.

7:44 AM  
Blogger Tony Gasbarro said...

Blogger does allow commenters to blogs to correct them. You go to your comment, find the trash can icon near your blog name, and then you delete it. Then you write the whole thing all over again.

You deleted post comes across as "removed by author," and then everyone wonders what horrible thing you must have said in order to have had it removed!

As to the CD freebie, I say take the CD back to the store along with your receipt. Find the checkout drone simply for identification, and then go to the store manager, point out the drone and what he/she did, just to get him/her fired from their job. If you're going to do the right thing by moral standards, at least get some satisfaction back for having to spend the $15 you might otherwise have saved, feeling like a lout for a whole three days until you forgot all about it.

2:12 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home